Very excited to announce we are doing a major update/overhaul to Maxuino later this month at CMU’s Studio for Creative Inquiry!! Any bugs or feature requests should be added here or emailed to us asap. We are devoting a full week to adding great new features and creating a much better set of learning tools. Watch here for updates.
For those who might be interested, I am offering 2 workshops while I am in Buenos Aires Argentina next week (25 and 27 Oct.). See the attached flyer.
Day 1 will be a basics of arduino, firmata, Max and Maxuino
Day 2 will be a deeper look at programming the arduino and various mechatronics
This is an incremental release fixing a number of issues and offering a new pathway for those of you that have been using v009 and v007. Note that you can use the StandardFirmata that comes with the Arduino IDE – OR – the stepperFirmata we include with Maxuino.
- there are now two versions of the maxuino.help and maxuino files
- maxuino.help.maxpat is the same as our recent releases and relies heavily on the GUI and OSC input. This remains largely unchanged and is still experiencing issues with digital inputs.
- maxuino-noGUI.help.maxpat shows you how to talk directly to the maxuino translator, simplifying things for those of you who want to include a lightweight low feature capability into your sketches. Note that it uses the maxuino-noGUI.maxpat. For those of you that have been using v009 because you wanted direct access in this way, please use this new patch rather than the old versions. All features are working and have been tested with Arduino UNO and MEGA 2650 boards.
- fixed a minor bug in maxuino.js
- updated stepperFirmata to match the latest version of Firmata (v2.3) and so it should compile again. Dont forget you need to add stepperDriver to your arduino libraries folder and restart Arduino IDE to get this Firmata to work.
We were not able to test every configuration and board and so please do post any issues you find – its the summer, and so there is a bit more time right now to get things fixed quickly!
After several similar questions I thought I would do a quick post about the status of maxuino:
- The most recent version of Maxuino is here: http://www.maxuino.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/maxuino_stepper_alpha_013.zip
- This version of maxuino has stepper capability, but only if you also use our stepperFirmata variant. If you use the Firmata that is shipped with the Arduino IDE it will work just fine for everything except it will not run stepper motors.
- This version of Maxuino does work with Max 6 and the most recent Arduino IDE and the newest generation of Arduinos including UNOs, Mega 2650, and Teensy boards.
- please double check the getting started page before emailing. The most common issue is the file paths in Max have to be set to search recursively into the folders of Maxuino
- there is one particular error message where it looks for a Maxuino external object, but we did not widely distribute that and so it will not affect the performance of Maxuino and you can ignore the error.
- we are doing further development of Maxuino, hopefully cleaning it up and refining it for a final non-alpha release in the Fall.
- we do not mind helping you out if you have problems, but be patient since we do this for free
This is a short note reaching out to our many Maxuino Users. I (Chris Coleman) will be traveling next year to many places and I am looking for institutions (galleries, museums, universities) to host artist talks and possibly also Maxuino workshops in:
UK (October 2012)
Rosario Argentina (november 2012)
Beijing China (april 2013)
Japan (may 2013)
I am already paying for flights to the above locations and so the costs would be minimal to the institutions.
also any opportunities in the US between july 2012 and july 2013…(but flights would be a factor)
Let me know! I look forward to sharing work with you.
“We used the latest Maxuino v.009. Connecting 6 arduino’s, controlling 7 motors, 5 ultrosonar sensors and hacking 5 vga monitores. Worked like a sharm. Thanks for making it so easy!!
‘Spiel der Maschinen 2.0′ is an interactive sound sculpture.
The motion of the spectators is tracked by ultrasonic sensors , calculating the distance between someone standing in front of, and one of the mannequins.
The system is controlled by a sequencer that we built in Max/MSP. Depending on the distance of the person, different midi commands are sent to the sequencer and Ableton live, controlling the Arduinos and manipulating the sound. Subsequently the vga input of the monitors is hacked and reacts on the sound.
This project was also presented on the Time Canvas festival at M HKA, sept 2011 .
Controlling Arduino in Max/Msp with Maxuino v.009/
The XL-MaxSonar-EZ0 Sensor from Maxbotic/
Intro music Nicolas Jaar/
Follow us on twitter, so we can follow you/
We were excited to show off Maxuino at the Cycling ’74 Expo Science Fair. Met some great users, made new friends and heard some great feedback. Also it got us to get together some better documentation, publish the protocol page, and do a new version with several little details fixed. We are excited about implementing some additional modularity to make it easier to add to your patches as well as make some basic electronics knowledge available to those of you just getting started.
Here is a Project just completed in London with the new Stepper Motor capable Maxuino, utilizing 6 steppers at the same time!
Congrats to Manabu Shimada!
UPDATE: Arduino v.0022 has fixed this so just download the latest and greatest.
As we are making the maxuino updates we found that the Uno issue is with the Arduino IDE, not Maxuino as there is a defect in the way 57600 baud works. We are adding a baud selector, but in the meantime you can change the baudrate in firmata and in maxuino to any other number (they still have to match of course) and the uno should work.
Our present list of features to be integrated into the release includes:
-compatibility with latest Arduino hardware
-stepper motor control
-added built-in hint-documentation to Max help files
-additional examples in Max helpfiles
-dynamic MIDI mapping for Maxuino Max For Live device
-dynamic pin/channel selection in Maxuino Max GUI
-integration of pin-mode query capabilities in new Firmata
-documentation of Maxuino OSC name-space and better compatibility with Arduino programing syntax
If there are particular features you want to see, please let us know as comments to this post.
Chris & Ali