A great project hot off the presses from Jay Harrison using Maxuino and an Arduino Mega to play a Lithophone!
It is online, free, and uses Maxuino extensively as it covers how to wire up and operate things from servos to LEDs to cams. It also has sections dedicated to resource lists detailing places to buy electronics, festivals to see great work, and much more.
A great resource not to be missed!
Autopoiesis 2000 by Ken Rinaldo at the Kiasma Museum in Helsinki Finland
This live electronics system comprises of Max/MSP 6, an Arduino Mega 2560 and a bespoke mechanical device capable of autonomously playing two octaves of a glockenspiel.
All of the audio heard in this video was recorded and manipulated in real time.
At long last we are following up on the heels of the M4L videos and now adding a video series designed to get you going with Maxuino. The 4 part series takes you thru loading Firmata to using the Maxuino GUI. We hope people will find these helpful! More to come, specifically tutorials on stepper motors, i2c, the great new save functionality, and more. Let us know if there is a particular topic you want to see us explain via video.
See the series here on Vimeo or on the Maxuino Videos Page.
Maxuino user/master Willy Nolan has posted a couple of videos that maxuino users might be interested in. First up is a tutorial for getting Maxuino running with Max4Live:
And he has also been experimenting with powering up his Nintendo Power Glove with Max and arduino via Maxuino in this 1980’s info-commercial:
FYI, we have posted an entirely overhauled code and interface in version 16. Use the maxuin.maxhelp as a starting point to understand the changes and how to best integrate the parts of maxuino you need for your project. You will see that we have made the interface more optional. The other big change includes:
- support for stepper motors with accel/deaccel (must use configurableFirmata)
- support for i2c
- the ability to dump out a save settings list that can be fed into maxuino on restart to setup your pins.
All features except the stepper motors work with the standardFirmata that ships with the arduino IDE. All features should work with all arduino compatible booards and have been tested with Unos, Megas, and Teensys.
More to come.
Very excited to announce we are doing a major update/overhaul to Maxuino later this month at CMU’s Studio for Creative Inquiry!! Any bugs or feature requests should be added here or emailed to us asap. We are devoting a full week to adding great new features and creating a much better set of learning tools. Watch here for updates.
For those who might be interested, I am offering 2 workshops while I am in Buenos Aires Argentina next week (25 and 27 Oct.). See the attached flyer.
Day 1 will be a basics of arduino, firmata, Max and Maxuino
Day 2 will be a deeper look at programming the arduino and various mechatronics
This is an incremental release fixing a number of issues and offering a new pathway for those of you that have been using v009 and v007. Note that you can use the StandardFirmata that comes with the Arduino IDE – OR – the stepperFirmata we include with Maxuino.
- there are now two versions of the maxuino.help and maxuino files
- maxuino.help.maxpat is the same as our recent releases and relies heavily on the GUI and OSC input. This remains largely unchanged and is still experiencing issues with digital inputs.
- maxuino-noGUI.help.maxpat shows you how to talk directly to the maxuino translator, simplifying things for those of you who want to include a lightweight low feature capability into your sketches. Note that it uses the maxuino-noGUI.maxpat. For those of you that have been using v009 because you wanted direct access in this way, please use this new patch rather than the old versions. All features are working and have been tested with Arduino UNO and MEGA 2650 boards.
- fixed a minor bug in maxuino.js
- updated stepperFirmata to match the latest version of Firmata (v2.3) and so it should compile again. Dont forget you need to add stepperDriver to your arduino libraries folder and restart Arduino IDE to get this Firmata to work.
We were not able to test every configuration and board and so please do post any issues you find – its the summer, and so there is a bit more time right now to get things fixed quickly!
After several similar questions I thought I would do a quick post about the status of maxuino:
– The most recent version of Maxuino is here: http://www.maxuino.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/maxuino_stepper_alpha_013.zip
– This version of maxuino has stepper capability, but only if you also use our stepperFirmata variant. If you use the Firmata that is shipped with the Arduino IDE it will work just fine for everything except it will not run stepper motors.
– This version of Maxuino does work with Max 6 and the most recent Arduino IDE and the newest generation of Arduinos including UNOs, Mega 2650, and Teensy boards.
– please double check the getting started page before emailing. The most common issue is the file paths in Max have to be set to search recursively into the folders of Maxuino
– there is one particular error message where it looks for a Maxuino external object, but we did not widely distribute that and so it will not affect the performance of Maxuino and you can ignore the error.
– we are doing further development of Maxuino, hopefully cleaning it up and refining it for a final non-alpha release in the Fall.
– we do not mind helping you out if you have problems, but be patient since we do this for free 😉